Introduction

My life goal has always been marriage and motherhood. 

Yes, I know. Not exactly à la mode. But why not? Why isn't it considered normal or culturally acceptable to want to create families and bring life into this world? 

When I started college, I became very aware of the cultural expectation for women to pursue a career. Instead of people asking what I wanted to do with my life, everyone asked me what I was studying and what career I wanted to pursue. Many assumed that because I was attending college, I prioritized a career rather than any other traditional endeavor. For a long time, I let people assume that I was learning only to pursue a career.

My English major lost its luster as I considered a career in that field. I reevaluated my life goals and decided to be more open about my desire for motherhood, including in my choice of major. I changed to Interdisciplinary Studies, which allowed me to construct a major that better supported my life goal of a future family and better prepare for a career, if necessary.

Now, when people asked about my major, I explained why I changed my major and the goals associated with that. Some people had no comment while others expressed support and appreciation that I was so open about my life goal. 

The family, as the basic unit of society, is vital to me, local communities, and this nation. In this blog, I will be exploring why families are struggling, why they're so important, and how we can strengthen our families.



Comments

Popular Posts